In my early days of brewing I found a post on Homebrewtalk about a Blueberry Oatmeal IPA and I tweaked the recipe a bit and brewed it. Everything was going well until I added fresh blueberries to the secondary and that’s when I got my first infection! Ever since I’ve always used frozen fruit and haven’t had any issues.
I rarely brew the exact same beer twice, but I often make tweaks and brew a similar recipe which brought up the Blueberry Muffin Ale. For this beer I used a base of 2 row, a bunch of oats (malted and flaked), a little Munich malt for some clean maltiness, and added some victory malt for that biscuity, toasy, bready component. I added a dash of maltodextrine for mouthfeel and mosaic hops later in the boil for aroma. I then added 3 lbs of blueberries for 7 days in the secondary and opted out (forgot) the dry hop. It was nice to revisit the idea of this beer and add what I felt the recipe needed. Check it out!
Blueberry Muffin IPA
|Batch Size||Boil Time||IBU||SRM||Est. OG||Est. FG||ABV|
|3 gal||60 min||42.87 IBUs||7.6 SRM||1.065||1.015||6.53 %|
|Rahr 2 row malt||5 lbs||62.5|
|Fawcett Oat malt||1 lbs||12.5|
|Flaked Oats||1 lbs||12.5|
|Munich malt 10L||.5 lbs||6.3|
|Maltodextrin (3% fermentable)||2 oz||1.7|
|Enigma||4 g||60 min||Boil||pellet||17.8|
|Mosaic||.5 oz||5 min||Boil||pellet||13.1|
|English Ale Yeast S-04||Fermentis/Safale||74-76%||~68 (Ambient)|
|Primary||14 days||Ambient (~68)|
|Secondary||7 days||Ambient (~68)|
Brewed: 12/17/18 | OG: 1.062 | FG: 1.008 | ABV: 7.74%
Water: Minneapolis tap water, campden added, 3.3 g gypsum, .6 g calcium chloride to mash
70% efficiency| Mash ph: 5.3 (adjusted) | whirfloc/yeast nutrient @15 | +.65 abv for fruit |15 sec pure O2
Tasting notes to follow.